A winter expedition to Nordkapp is a fascinating experience, even if you sometimes do not reach the mountain plateau itself. The road to Nordkapp is open to traffic throughout the year, but in winter it is operated by convoy driving. All vehicles have to join a convoy to reach Nordkapp. Meeting point for the convoy is by the Skarsvåg junction, 13 km from Nordkapp. All vehicles are welcome to participate, but we recommend private cars and buses to join the convoy at 11:00 am.
A winter journey to Nordkapp
Daily departure times for the convoy
11:00 - recommended for private cars and buses
kl. 12:00 - buses from Hurtigruten and scheduled bus from Honningsvåg
Return from Nordkapp at 13:00 and 13:45
Bus from Honningsvåg
Departs from the harbour at 11:45 all weekdays (11:30 during convoy driving).
For more information and booking please use the following link:
Driving in a convoy
In a convoy normally the snow plow drives in front of a convoy of cars. Beware that the driver of the plow is in charge of the convoy and may refuse vehicles to follow if they are not properly equipped for the tour. The general rule is that there should not be more people in the convoy than what the rescuers can save.
- Make sure you have enough fuel
- Keep flashlight, shovel and tow rope easy accessible
- It is adviced to bring warm drinks and some food.
- Bring warm clothes and footwear.
- To avoid icing on the windows use cool air, not warm air on the windows.
- Use emergency lights
- Use fog lights if your car is equipped with this.
- Keep an eye on the car in front.
- Keep steady speed and follow the convoy
- Do not stop your car. Follow the convoy.
- If you do have to stop or the convoy stops never leave your car. This may be fatal.
Behind the convoy there will always be another snow plow or safety car. The driver of the front and rear car keeps contact during the convoy and the front car may stop occasionally to check if all cars are following along.
Important: Never stop, or in the event of a traffical stop, never leave your car.